Farm Equipment and Auto Insurance

Farm Equipment InsuranceDepending on the crops or animals that they raise, different farmers have a need for different kinds of equipment. While most use a tractor around their property, many also rely on combines, aerators, mowers, and scales as an important part of daily operations. Farmers also often use trucks to haul materials and equipment across their farm, or elsewhere, and they may use cars or other vehicles to conduct farm business. Because of all of the equipment used, and the cars and trucks driven by farmers, they should have farm equipment and auto insurance for their vehicles.

Although they may already have business insurance, farmers looking to add on to or change their current coverage, or to buy an entirely new policy should speak with an independent insurance agent in the area.

In working with an agent to buy commercial auto insurance for their farm, farmers should expect that he will want to know the number of vehicles they own or lease for purposes of working on the farm. He will also want to know specific information, too, like the vehicles’ makes and models, average annual mileage, and whether any are also used for personal purposes, in addition to business tasks. He might inquire about the maintenance schedules for farm vehicles, and how often they are taken in for a tune-up. He will also want to find out whether any farm employees or family members of a farmer operate any farm vehicles, and whether a farmer expects to buy another car or truck within the effective period of a policy. Knowing these and other factors will help an agent recommend a commercial auto or truck insurance policy that is suited to a particular farmer.

Farm Truck Insurance

To suggest a farm equipment insurance policy, an agent will want to know about each piece of machinery or tool used by a farmer in tending to livestock, or raising crops. He will ask about whether a crop farmer uses an auger or grain elevator, mower, corn picker, or chipper. For livestock farmers, he will want to know if they use any bale wagons or retrievers for hay, manure applicators, feed grinders, or waterers. Having worked with farmers and ranchers in the past, an agent understands the risks associated with using, storing, and maintaining farm equipment, and he will help farmers make sure that they have the appropriate farm equipment insurance coverage in case a bale processor or sub-soiler malfunctions, a worker is injured while using a digger, or a wagon or trailer is stolen from a barn.

By connecting with an agent, farmers can discuss safety precautions, OSHA requirements, and laws on workers’ compensation insurance, and learn more about rates, premiums, and coverage limits. With farm equipment coverage, and commercial auto insurance purchased through an independent business insurance agent, farmers know that if they face an unexpected financial loss, or a claim against their farm, they can look to the coverage under their policy.

Other Enhanced Insurance articles related to Farm Insurance:

Farm Insurance As a Way of Life

Where Can You Obtain Farm Insurance

Commercial Agribusiness Insurance

Crop-hail and Multi-peril Insurance Coverage

Animal Mortality Insurance

Dairy Farm Insurance

Animal and Livestock Insurance

Farm Family Insurance

Federal Crop Insurance Act

Federal Crop Insurance Rates

Farm Mutuals

Enhanced Insurance is not written by attorneys. If you’re looking for legal advice, you need to contact a lawyer. Further, insurance practices and forms change constantly and are varied from state to state. For definitive answers in your area, contact a local agent.

While the majority of people want an agent involved in their purchase of insurance, many people want to see if they can save money by buying direct from the insurance company. Others want to try a direct quote to make sure the premium they’re now paying through their local agent is fair. If you want a quote for your coverage, click on the competitive quote button on the right side of this page.