If You Own A Home You’re Not Living In, Can You Still Purchase Insurance For It?

If You Own A Home You're Not Living In, Can You Still Purchase Insurance For It

If You Own A Home You’re Not Living In, Can You Still Purchase Insurance For It?

The simple answer is “Yes”.

Most homes that are insured by individuals who do not live in the home are insured on a dwelling fire policy. A dwelling fire policy is a simpler policy than a homeowners’ policy in that it doesn’t have many of the extended coverage and liability portion. This is the kind of policy most dwelling rental properties are insured under.

For example; if you’re not living in a home you probably will not have any personal property in the home and will not need con tent coverage, which is provided in a homeowner’s policy. Further, if you’re not living in a home you wouldn’t need coverage for additional living expense to pay for a place for you to stay if the home you’re not living in catches fire.

It becomes a bit more complicated when you discuss terms such as “unoccupied” or “vacant”.

An “unoccupied” or “vacant” home can be insured. It is up to the policy conditions and the insurance company underwriter what rate will be charged and what coverage will be afforded.

Often a homeowners’ or dwelling fire policy will not cover loss due to vandalism or burglary if the property has been vacant for over 60 days (30 in some instances). Normally the difference between “vacant” and “unoccupied” is the presence of furniture. A building can be unoccupied and not vacant if the owner has furniture in the building.

For example; if you went on an extended cruise and left your home unoccupied for three months, but had only taken the normal clothing and sundries for a trip, your home would be unoccupied, but not vacant.

If you leave enough furniture in a house so that it is apparent you’ve not abandoned it, the house is not “vacant”. There must be sufficient items left in the house for it to function normally as a dwelling.

It gets a little complicated when a home is going under massive renovation. If you remove your furniture to the extent that the home would not be functional it is considered vacant and burglary and vandalism losses are excluded.

There are residual markets who will provide coverage for “vacant” buildings at high rates with large deductibles.

All of this should be discussed with your agent.

For a Home Insurance Infographic >

Some other Enhanced Insurance articles related to Home Insurance:

Basic Maintenance Is Home Insurance That Saves Big Money

Could Your Dog Raise Your Home Insurance Rates

Are You Covered in the Event of a Natural Catastrophe

How Do I Minimize the Risks That Accompany a Residential Swimming Pool

Do I Need Liability Protection on My Homeowner’s Policy

How Do I Qualify for Discounted Homeowner’s Insurance

How Often Should I Review My Homeowner’s Policy

What Information Do I need for a Homeowner’s Insurance Quote

Am I Required to Have Homeowner’s Insurance If I Own a Home?

What Do I Need to Know about Insurance When Remodeling

What Do I Need to Know about Insurance When I Build or Buy Exterior Home Items?

How Can I Estimate the Cost of Replacing My Home?

Fire Insurance

Why Should I List Valuable Belongings for Insurance

What Is Personal Liability Insurance

Homeowner’s Insurance and Residential Swimming Pools

House Insurance

Mortgage Insurance

Consumer Guide to Home Insurance

Enhanced Insurance is not written by attorneys. If you’re looking for legal advice, you need to contact a lawyer. Further, insurance practices and forms change constantly and are varied from state to state. For definitive answers in your area, contact a local agent.

While the majority of people want an agent involved in their purchase of insurance, many people want to see if they can save money by buying direct from the insurance company. Others want to try a direct quote to make sure the premium they’re now paying through their local agent is fair. If you want a quote for your coverage, click on the competitive quote button on the right side of this page.

Jim operates an insurance agent network called Insurance Partners, aggregating agents in the Midwest for over 25 years. He was National Agent of the Year for Metropolitan in 1993 and Midwest Agent of the Year for Travelers in 2011. He served as a founding board member of the Surplus Lines Association of Minnesota.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *